By default, the TextGridLab will check for updates of all installed components in the background after startup. If there are updates available, it will notify you using a notification window (that will go away after a few seconds) and an icon in the status bar. Click on the icon or notification to open an update wizard that will install the new versions of the respective tools on request.
You can manually force an update using Help → Check for Updates. You can turn off automatic update checks using Window → Preferences → Install/Update → Automatic Updates (find the Preferences window in the TextGridLab menu on MacOS).
If you wish to only update a specific tool, open the Installation Details dialog as described in the following section, select the tool on the Installed Software page and click Update.
TextGridLab components are available from Update Sites. There are three main composite update site for TextGridLab components:
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/stable for the stable, 2.x release train,
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/beta for beta-quality tools, and
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/nightly for bleeding-edge and untested versions that come directly out of our automatic build system.
You can use the preference page at Window → Preferences → Install/Update → Available Software Sites to manage the sites that should be available from the dropdown box and that should be checked for updates.
For example, if you would like to work only with the nightly versions of a specific tool and leave all other tools at their stable versions, you might want to enable only the nightlies update site for that tool. To do so,
- find out the nightly update site for the tool. Either you look at the index page of the composite nightly update site, or have a look at the corresponding build page on the integration build server.
- install the tool from that site as described above.
- Go to the Available Software Sites page and check that the composite nightly update site, http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/nightly, is not enabled.