As a modular system, the TextGridLab allows for installation of additional software or updates of existing modules.
Installing additional software using the Marketplace
The Marketplace offers a catalogue of additional tools that can be installed into the TextGridLab, tools from the TextGrid team as well as tools from external developers.
The marketplace is still an experimental feature, not all features will work as desired.
Updating existing tools
By default, the TextGridLab will check for updates of all installed components in the background after startup. If there are updates available, it will notify you using a notification window (that will go away after a few seconds) and an icon in the status bar. Click on the icon or notification to open an update wizard that will install the new versions of the respective tools on request.
You can manually force an update using Help → Check for Updates. You can turn off automatic update checks using Window → Preferences → Install/Update → Automatic Updates (find the Preferences window in the TextGridLab menu on MacOS).
Background: Update Sites
TextGridLab components are available from Update Sites. There are three main composite update site for TextGridLab components:
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/stable for the stable, 2.x release train,
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/beta for beta-quality tools, and
- http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/nightly for bleeding-edge and untested versions that come directly out of our automatic build system.
Installing software directly from update sites
To browse an update site and directly install software from it (that may not yet be part of the marketplace),
- Open the wizard at Help → Install New Software
- Select the update site you want to browse from the Work with drop down, or enter its URL (see the list above) into the drop down's input field and press your Enter key
- Check the tool(s) you wish to install in the tree below
- Work through the rest of the wizard using the Next and Finish buttons.
You will need to restart the TextGridLab after installing software.
You are not neccessarily limited to TextGridLab tools – you can theoretically install any Eclipse plug-in into the TextGridLab using this method. However, tools that are neither at our update site nor in our marketplace have not been tested to work with TextGridLab, and thus may not work.
Managing update sites
You can use the preference page at Window → Preferences → Install/Update → Available Software Sites to manage the sites that should be available from the dropdown box and that should be checked for updates.
If you would like to (e.g.) only work with the nightly versions of a specific tool and leave all other tools at their stable versions, you might want to enable only the nightlies update site for that tool. To do so,
- find out the nightly update site for the tool. Either you look at the index page of the composite nightly update site, or have a look at the corresponding build page on the integration build server.
- install the tool from that site as described above.
- Go to the Available Software Sites page and check that the composite nightly update site, http://www.textgridlab.org/updates/nightly, is not enabled.
If you wish, you can also download the nightly build of the complete TextGridLab from our integration build server.