Criteria of Service Life Cycle States
Criteria for each state of a new or existing service life cycle (status of the Report 3.2.7) are listed as follows (as of21.12.2015). For more updated information see the sorted criteria6. A reference to recent developments on this toic can be found in the last chapter.
- Proposal including affiliation and contact information
- Have the responsibilities and contact persons been named?
- Fill in the templates with: title, partners, coordinator, DARIAH contact person,project initiators, duration, website
Correlation with DARIAH
- DARIAH-DE is not an exclusive resources provider and cooperates with external research projects.
- Cooperation and collaboration is the focal point and the objective is, that theresults, research data, tools or services obtained from the research projectscan be used sustainably and be used by the professional communities for along period of time.
- At least one of the criteria should be met: Teaching, research, research data,technical infrastructure (mandatory)
- The proposal is to be located in the arts and humanities (mandatory)
- Fill in the templates with: disciplines, objectives, state of research, methods(mandatory)
- Scientific disciplinal description of the proposed service (mandatory)
- Is there a description of the function for the service, e.g. user manual? (nice ifavailable)
- Target audience and expected size of the target audience (mandatory)
- Is technical information of the service, such as operating system, programminglanguage and used libraries, already known?
- If yes: detailed technical description (nice if available)
- Estimation of efforts/costs for development and operation
- Fill in the templates with: resources (provided by local data/compute center),select an offer from the selection (menu card), reusability
- The reusability and sustainability of the plugin should be described, even better if it is verified
- Dependencies on other services
- An open source license and source code is unconditionally necessary for plugins. Otherwise a reuse can not be guaranteed.
- License: Source code (and any data required to run the software release under an open source license
- Support for standard file formats
- Availability of an API
- Plugins or APIs should be developed standard compliant and be described
- Web based tool with adaptive user interface
- Desktop tool with mobile application
- Desktop tool with cross-platform support
- Import/export functionality
- Localization: support for multiple locales (e. g. German, English, French, etc.)
- An internationalization framework is used
- Is the reproducibility documented?
- Network requirements
- Security requirements
- Test or verification suite should be available and well documented
- An endpoint for functional monitoring should be available
Check for usability criteria
- Collection of the usability criteria: 1. TGIII R 2.2.2
- See DARIAH II report: R 1.2.2
- See DARIAH II report: R 1.2.3
The following documentation is needed at the end of the HANDOVER State.
Description of the service
- Tasks, features, functions
- Any reference installations
- Expected number of users, expected number of instances
- Institution/contact persons
Documents for the end users
- Include contact persons for the support
Documents for the service administration
- Specifications of run time environment and resources
- Software: operating system, required libraries and dependencies of the service
- Hardware: Required resources: CPU, RAM, HDD, network (volume of data transfer)
- Dependencies on DARIAH-DE services
- Description of deployment process
- Step-by-Step guideline
- Example configurations, FAQ, etc.
- Description of operation functionalities: Include mechanism in case of reboot. The service should have the ability to restart in an automatic way and be functional.
- Indication of possible limitations or problems
- Monitoring requirements: an endpoint for functional monitoring should be available.
- Include contact person of administration support
Any documentation for further development
- Include contact person
Besides the documentation to be delivered, the contract of service provision or clarifying of sustainable operation or the funding should be done with DeISU.
The following documents are needed in the PRODUCTION State:
- Documentation for the end users
- Documentation for the developers
- Documentation for the administrators
- Documentation for the support/HelpDesk
- Tutorials, FAQs
- Application examples from the projects
Besides, clarifying of responsibility, maintaining and updating of these documents should also be documented.
Further Development of the DARIAH-DE Service Life Cycle Specifications
The DARIAH-DE Service Life Cycle specification above represent the status of Report 3.2.7 at the end of the second phase of DARIAH-DE. These specifications are due to further refinements during the current phase, which are currently reflected in a preparation document at DARIAH 3 Service Life Cycle (inkl. Kriterien + Mentorenaufgaben) that is in parts currently only available for DARIAH-DE and in parts written in German. Here also a couple of check lists (again currently only available for DARIAH-DE and written in German), filled in for concrete DARIAH-DE services, are included. A template of such a check list can be also found at Vorlage Checkliste DARIAH 3 Service Life Cycle.